Recipe: Beef & Guinness Stew
3 lb Beef cut in cubes
4 tbsp oil
2 onions peeled and chopped
500 ml Guinness
5 carrots peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1-2 tsp dried thyme
2-3 bay leaves
1 large tbsp tomato puree
300ml beef stock
1. Shake the meat in flour, salt and pepper
2. In large pot brown the meat in the oil in batches
3. Remove from pot as done and set aside.
4. Add onions, to the pot and sliced carrots sauté for 10 min, until they are just coloured.
5. Return meat to the pot , and cook, stirring, 2 min.
6. Add the cranberry sauce or redcurrant jelly & tomato puree
7. Stir in the Guinness along with the thyme, bay leaf and garlic.
8. Cover and place in 140c oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
*If you are adding potatoes and carrots, add during last 45 minutes.